Three Leeds Opportunity Scholarships are available to Black and Asian Home fee-rated applicants for Session 2023/24 for study in any Faculty. The scholarships are part of our wider commitment to addressing under-representation in postgraduate research with opportunities including research internships for prospective Doctoral candidates and an on-course engagement programme with mentoring.
The University of Leeds is committed to addressing the barriers to higher education study for under-represented groups. It is central to our institutional strategic plan and our Access and Student Success strategy.
Closing Date for Application forms 17:00 (UK time) Monday 3 April 2023
Duration of the Award
- Full-time (3.5 years), pro-rata for part-time. The award will be made for one year in the first instance and renewable for a further period of up to two and a half years (pro-rata for part-time) subject to satisfactory academic progress;
- This award is available to Home fee-rated applicants. The award will cover fees at the University of Leeds standard home rate of fees
- A maintenance grant at the standard UKRI rate (£17,668 in Session 2022/23 for full-time study)
- Applicants must identify as: Black or Black British – Caribbean; Black or Black British – African; Other Black background; Asian or Asian British – Indian; Asian or Asian British – Pakistani; Asian or Asian British – Bangladeshi; Chinese or Other Ethnic Background – Chinese; Other Asian background; Mixed – White and Black Caribbean; Mixed – White and Black African; Mixed – White and Asian; Other Mixed background; Arab; Other Ethnic background
- Applicants must not have already been awarded or be currently studying for a doctoral degree
- Awards must be taken up by 1 October 2023
- The awards are available for new Postgraduate Researchers undertaking full-time or part-time research study leading to the degree of PhD. Students who are already registered for PhD research study are excluded from applying
- Applicants must live within a reasonable distance of the University of Leeds whilst in receipt of this Scholarship.